Tuesday 3 May 2016

Personal Activities 11 (preterite shopped, etc.)

We have looked at ways of talking about what we are currently doing, what we do on a regular basis, what we know how to do and what we like doing (or not, as the case may be). Now let’s look at what we DID. The following examples contain the simple past tense (preterite) for actions that are completed. Notice that, generally, the preterite uses the verbal particle <a>, which may then soften the following consonant. The preterite also (generally) ends in   <-as>. (SWFM “main” form, where different, shown in brackets.)

moas > eth (or a geth)
(mos > eth)
to go > went
Me eth dhe’n shoppys.
(My eth dhe’n gwerthjiow.)
I went to the shops. (irregular verb)
Me eth dhe’n varhas.              (My eth dhe’n varhas.)
I went to the market.

marhasna > a varhasnas
to go shopping (no need to use <moas>)
Me a varhasnas.                
(My a varhasnas.)
I went shopping (marketing).

pernassa > a bernassas
(prenassa > a brenassas)
to shop > shopped

Me a bernassas war linen.
(My a brenassas war linen.)
I shopped on line.

perna > a bernas
(prena > a brenas)
to buy > bought

Me a bernas cota nowedh.     (My a brenas kota nowydh.)
I bought a new coat.

pe > a beas

to pay (for) > paid (for)
Me a beas cans pens.                (My a beas kans peuns.)
I paid £100.

gweles > a welas

to see > saw
Me a welas skijyow teg, e’wedh.  
(My a welas eskisyow teg, ynwedh.)
I saw some beautiful shoes, as well.

nakevy > a nacovas
(ankevi > a ankovas)
to forget > forgot (note vowel change, same as in English)
Me a nacovas o mòna.     
(My a ankovas ow mona.)
I forgot my money.



No comments:

Post a Comment