Thursday 26 May 2016

Personal Likes and Dislikes 10 (present-future tense)

We have met several examples of the simplified present-future monoform, e.g. <me a gar> I love, <me a wary> I play (games), <me a son>, I play (instruments), etc. It is also useful to be able to say that we know how to do something, that we can do something. (This will obviously affect whether or not you like doing something.) For this we use the verb <godhvos> to know rather than <gallos> to be able followed by the verb for whatever it is you can do:
so  (in SWFLt)   
me a or  
I know (how to), I can
te a or  
you know (how to), you can (familiar, singular)
ev a or  
he knows (how to), he can
hei a or  
she knows (how to), she can
nei a or  
we know (how to), we can
whei a or  
you know (how to), you can (formal and/or plural)
anjei a or  
they know (how to), they can

In speech we may leave out the verbal particle “a”. You will hear and say me or”, etc.
me or gwary
I can play (games)
me or seny
I can play (instruments)

Examples:
Me or gwary rugby.
I can play rugby.
Che or gwary pel droos.
You can play football.
Hei or gwary golf.
She can play golf.
Ev or neyja.
He can swim.
Nei or clappya Kernowek.
We can speak Cornish.
Whei or seny piano. Na ora’vy.
You can play the piano. I can’t.
Anjei or golya aga scath.
They can sail their boat.

Here are some additional verbs that you might want to use with “me or, etc.

delinya
draw
diwrosa
ride a bike
gwary gwydhbol
play chess
gwia
knit, weave
gwrias
sew
lewya
drive
limna
paint
marhogeth
ride a horse
mordardha
surf
pobas
bake
redya musik
read music
rostella
skateboard
sedhy
dive
seny gitar
play the guitar
skesya war rew
ice skate
skia
ski
scrifa
write



No comments:

Post a Comment