Tuesday 13 September 2016

Writing a Diary 11 (compound preterite)

We learnt how to say what we did at Christmas using the simple past tense (preterite). Now we are going to look at another past tense called the compound preterite. This uses the preterite of the verb to do/make as an auxiliary verb together with the infinitive/verbal noun of the verb you wish to use.
It sounds complicated but it is easy to do. (The reason why we do this is so that we can ask questions and make negative statements.)
The verb to do/make is gwil or gül (they have the same vowel sound though the SWF spelling is different).
I did is me a wrüg (pronounced [reeg] or [rig])
So, instead of
Rag Pask me a dhabras oyow.  For Easter I ate eggs.
We can say   
Rag Pask me a wrüg debry oyow.  For Easter I did eat eggs.
Similarly:        
Rag Pask me a evas (I drank)…          
can be   
Rag Pask me a wrüg eva…
Rag Pask me a gemeras (I got)…            
can be  
Rag Pask me a wrüg kemeres…
Rag Pask me a recevas (I received)…   
can be
Rag Pask me a wrüg receva…
Rag Pask me a dhegemeras (I received)…  
can be
Rag Pask me a wrüg degemeres…
Rag Pask me a fanjas (I received)…         
can be
Rag Pask me a wrüg fanja…
Òja Pask (after Easter) me a bernas (I bought) oyow moy (more eggs).          
can be
Òja Pask me a wrüg perna oyow moy.
Me a spendyas (I spent)…                              
can be
Me a wrüg spendya…

The beauty of using <wrüg> is that you don’t have to worry about mutations or irregular verbs! (Though it should be used sparingly.)
Here are some alternatives:
I went
me eth      
me a wrüg moas
I came
me a dheuth[1]
me a wrüg doas
I stayed
me a wòrtas      
me a wrüg gòrtos
I gave        
me a ros  
me a wrüg rei
I brought   
me a dhros
me a wrüg drei
I played
me a warias
me a wrüg gwary
I saw
me a welas
me a wrüg gweles



[1] In Late Cornish, dheuth has the same vowel sound as eth, even though the SWF spelling is different.

No comments:

Post a Comment