Monday 26 September 2016

Writing a Diary 18 (when you are going to do things)

We have looked at the time frame for things you did in the past. Now let’s give a time frame to things you are going to do in the future.
hedhyw    
today
avorow
tomorrow
trenja
the day after tomorrow
e.g  Hedhyw me a vedn pònya üdn mildir, avorow dew vildir, ha trenja trei mildir.                      
I’ll run 1 mile today, 2 miles tomorrow and 3 miles the day after tomorrow.
We can use the days of the week, e.g.
De Sül me a wra gòrtas tre.         
On Sunday I am going to stay home.
De Sadorn me vedn moas dhe gefewy.
On Saturday I will go to a party.

We can precede the days of the week with <nessa> meaning “next”, e.g.
Me wra doas tre nessa (de) Lün.
I’m coming home next Monday.
We can also use <nessa> before other time divisions, e.g.
Me vedn redya dew lever nessa seythen.
I’ll read two books next week.
Me a vedn neyja e’n mor nessa mis.
I’ll swim in the sea next month.
Me wra dendyl showr a vòna nessa bledhen.
I’ll earn a lot of money next year.
but
Me a wra redya lever moy an seythen nessa.
I’ll read another book the following week.
Me a vedn moas tre an jorna-ma war seythen.
I’ll go home today week.
<nessa> on its own can mean “on a future occasion”, e.g.
Me vedn moas nessa. 
I’ll go on a future occasion.
(I’ll go dreckly!)
There are several other terms you can use for the future, e.g.
e’n termyn a vedn doas
in the time that will come
en termyn a dheu[1]
in a time that is coming
If you are going to do something by a deadline, you can use <kens> meaning “before
or <bedn> meaning “by”, e.g.
Me wra y wül kens pedn seythen.
I’ll do it within a week (before the end of a week).
Me a vedn debry kens moas dhe’n wariva.
I’ll eat before going to the theatre.
Me a wra gwil diwedh bedn hav.                    
I’ll finish by summer.




[1] This is a tense called the “present-future” of <doas> to come. Use it, too, for any time that is  “coming”, e.g. de Yow a dheu Thursday coming. (dheu will come rhymes with de yesterday)

No comments:

Post a Comment